Thursday, September 18, 2014

Then & Now

View of our church and parking area taken in September 2010.

View of our church and no parking area taken in September 2014.

Saturday, February 15, 2014


DECEMBER 13th (Saturday) 
Advent Quiet Day
9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Contact Kay for more information

We hope to offer the following in the coming months, but please be aware that there is no parking at the church and parking in Salina is very limited. Walk or carpool, if possible. 

1st and 3rd Saturdays
For the time being, the films will be
shown at the Salina Schoolhouse.
6:30 p.m. doors open
7:00 film begins
Contact Marti for more info.

5:30 p.m.
Pastor Paul Fischer

This casual and welcoming worship service includes Bible study and Bible teaching in an inviting interactive format, as well as music, singing, sharing, prayer, conversation, and open discussion. All are welcome! The meetings are normally scheduled for the 2nd Saturday of each month.
Please contact Paul Fischer to confirm.

5:30 p.m.
A TaizĂ© service of meditation and singing.  Kay Cook has participated in the TaizĂ© community in Southern France and has led services in Colorado and Utah. Taize services will be offered at The Little Church in the Pines on the fourth Sunday of each month.
Contact Kay for more info.   

Monday, September 23, 2013

Flood Damage September 2013

UPDATE OCTOBER 2014:  Ezequiel finished the wall and Marion Reynolds rebuilt the deck and steps. All we have left to do is install a railing and complete the landscaping next spring.

JULY 7th 2014: Ezequiel Quintana has finished the wall along Gold Run Road! He is now working on the side wall.

JUNE 16th 2014:  Peter Brady finished applying the stone facing to the foundation. Ezequiel Quintana started rebuilding the rock retaining wall in front of the chapel.

APRIL 19th 2014: Backfilling continues and work has begun on the stone facing.

APRIL 16th 2014:  The steel beams have been inserted and bricks are being laid to finish the foundation. (Before the bricks, we decided to take advantage of the easier access and put insulation under the floor - one positive aspect to this ordeal.) Once the bricks are finished, they will be faced with local rocks.

JANUARY 29th 2014:  Foundation walls have been poured underneath the chapel, and earth has been moved up to the walls. It is starting to look almost normal again. Next, steel beams will be inserted underneath. When the weather is good, work will begin on rebuilding the rock retaining wall, steps, and front deck.

NOVEMBER 25th:  The Mind's Eye film premiere, and benefit for our church, was a huge success! Both showings at the Boedecker Theater were sold out and it was a mind-bending experience for all. (Yes, that is The Little Church in the Pines on fire in the poster below... but, not really.)

Many thanks to Meryem Ersoz (Producer) and Mark Steven Grove (Director) for offering the benefit and introducing the film; and congratulations - can't wait for your film to be released! Glenn Webb of the Boedecker Theater also gave us a big surprise by adding their portion of the ticket money to our recovery efforts. Truly uplifting generosity.

NOVEMBER 23rd:  The permanent supports are done and backfill has begun, but now the icy road and debris cleanup have slowed us down a bit. Since we now have such easy access to underneath, we hope to do some floor insulation, and then complete the backfill. With the County planning to begin work on creating our temporary winter road soon, Salina could be a traffic nightmare.

OCTOBER 14th:  We hired an engineer and have a plan! History Colorado (Colorado Historical Society) awarded us an emergency grant and we are now feel confident we can stabilize the chapel. Hallelujah! The cribbing and steel posts now support the building. Concrete pads and larger steel posts will be constructed soon, then we will begin the process of procuring dirt and filling the void. The rock retaining wall and steps come next, and hopefully Boulder County will reconstruct the road (and our parking area) soon.  Our church is safer, but much more needs to be done.

SEPTEMBER 23rd:  This summer we finally finished our many-year restoration of The Little Church in the Pines which included raising the church and installing a new foundation. It is a very special and rare mining camp church which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. We believe that our work and divine intervention kept the church erect during the flood.

The chapel is intact inside, but the entire building's future existence is still in doubt for there is no earth under the front half. Peter Brady and Vernon Lawrence cut two trees to use as temporary support poles. Soon after, Burton Sloan, Derek Davis, James Holmes and Ed Tarleton added stronger metal supports, but they will not endure vibrations from trucks or be sufficient for winter. An engineer has looked at the church and plans are being made for the chapel's preservation. We are hoping to find some grant funds to help us protect it.

Sadly, the grand old pine tree that survived the 2010 fire, despite burned bark, was cut down on Sept. 25th. (You can see it above behind the steeple.) The roots in front were exposed, and if it were to fall, the damage to the church could have been catastrophic. 

If our church holds special memories for you and you would like to support our efforts, please send a check to The Little Church in the Pines, 414 Gold Run Road, Boulder, CO 80302.  We assure you that your money will be used wisely.

Our Salina community has already received much appreciated assistance from the Home Depot in Broomfield with a donation of wheelbarrows, shovels, and gloves; and they have promised to assist us with concrete. The moral support to our community from their generosity has been enormous.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Our Church

The Little Church in the Pines is a community spiritual center and Colorado non-profit corporation located in Salina, Colorado, an historic mining camp. The church building is maintained by a small diverse membership, and can be reserved for worship services, weddings, lectures, etc. - any typical activity found in traditional churches. The primary difference is that this church is not limited to use by a single religion. All religions are welcome to hold services.

The Estey Organ was built in 1884-1885 for a family in Greenville, Illinois. In 1905, it was sent to the Loveland Presbyterian Church, and in 1949 that church donated it to The Little Church in the Pines. There is also a ca. 1897 piano (last tuned in March 2010), and fourteen pews which can seat around 70 people.

The church is approximately 18 minutes from Canyon and Broadway. Head west on Canyon to Four Mile Canyon Drive. Go 4.8 miles, take the right fork, and drive 4/10 mile up Gold Run Road. The church is on the right. Parking is very limited. For additional parking, drive 1/10 mile further and park at the Salina Schoolhouse.

If you are interested in reserving or in helping to maintain the building, please contact Marti Anderson at We would love to show you our beautifully restored chapel!

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Four Mile Canyon Fire September 2010

The firefighters saved the Little Church in the Pines and the Salina Schoolhouse! Unfortunately, the fire burned five Salina homes, the fire house, numerous outbuildings, and the school's outhouse that contained a toilet and sink. It also burned a small cabin and cottage that were donated to the church by Laura Curtright.

Unbelievable, but our little church is still in the pines!

The Curtright Cabin (3472 Fourmile), where Peter lived for 10 1/2 years, is gone.

The historic mining shacks and large storage building that were below the Curtright homes are gone.

The Curtright Cottage (3474 Fourmile), where Amanda lived, is gone. The old outhouse and other outbuildings also burned.

                                      November 2011 Update:

There are now new homes on the Curtright property!
This is 3472 Fourmile Canyon.

This is 3474 Fourmile Canyon. Both of these homes were designed by Craig Bundy, a Boulder architect, and built by Solaris Builders (Steven Feller) of Berthoud.